How Much Can the 2020 Ram 1500 Tow?
The 2020 Ram 1500 is one of the top choices in the pickup truck segment. Prove of it are the multitude of awards and accolades the model keeps receiving. Cars.com has named the Ram 1500 its 2020 Luxury Car of the Year, being the first time a truck has won the award, while the Ram brand has been named Best Truck Brand of 2020 by U.S. News & World Report. With a versatile lineup, there’s a Ram 1500 to match almost any need. No matter which trim you choose, though, you will get excellent ride quality, luxurious interiors and impressive capability. Indeed, today we are going to focus on this last aspect. Do you want to know how much can the 2020 Ram 1500 tow? Keep reading to find it out!
2020 Ram 1500 Engines and Capacities
Duncanville-area buyers interested in the new Ram 1500 have three engines to choose from, each one offering different performance and towing capacities. What they all have in common is a standard Class-Exclusive TorqueFlite® eight-speed automatic transmission, a system that automatically handles and optimizes shift changes and points to optimize efficiency, performance and drivability. Let’s delve into the specs of each engine:
- 3.6L Pentastar® V6 eTorque Engine: The standard powertrain produces 305 horsepower and 269 pound-feet of torque. The maximum towing capability is 7,730 pounds.
- 5.7L HEMI® V8 Engine: This powerful engine delivers up to 395 horsepower, 410 pound-feet of torque, and tows a maximum of 11,610 pounds.
- 5.7L HEMI® V8 eTorque Engine: Paired with the revolutionary eTorque Mild Hybrid System, this engine produces the same figures shown above, but boosts towing capacity to 12,750 pounds, delivering the best pulling rating.
- 3.0L EcoDiesel V6 Engine: The new diesel-powered turbocharged engine puts up to 260 horsepower, 480 pound-feet of torque, and tows up to of 12,560 pounds, the highest diesel tow rating in the class.
Towing Capacity of Each 2020 RAM 1500 Trim Level
The Ram 1500 comes in six trim levels, each one offering different towing capabilities depending on the engine and configuration you choose. All trims share a minimum towing rating of 6,250 pounds but differ in terms of maximum towing. Below we break down the highest numbers of each trim:
- Tradesman: 12,750 lbs.
- Big Horn: 11,610 lbs.
- Laramie: 11,610 lbs.
- Rebel: 11,470 lbs.
- Laramie Longhorn: 11,470 lbs.
- Limited: 11,470 lbs.
As you can see, many of the variants work out with similar numbers, but if you want to take advantage of the maximum towing figure, then you will need to go for the Tradesman. It’s important to note that the maximum towing capacity is only possible when your truck is properly equipped. In this case, the Tradesman needs to feature a 4×2 configuration, a Quad Cab, a 6’4” box, and the 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine with eTorque. In general, a smaller cab, two-wheel drive, and a larger engine will get you the most towing capability.
Where Can I Find the 2020 Ram 1500 In Duncanville, TX?
If you are a local driver interested in experiencing everything this capable truck can do firsthand, come visit us at Freedom Chrysler Dodge Jeep Ram By Ed Morse. For additional information about the different trims and their towing capabilities, contact us and we will be happy to answer all your questions.